Monday, September 10, 2007

FACT OR FICTION?


I would never write a serious story about my goats; though I do enjoy them immensely. Nanny is the most skittish of the two so it is quite an accomplishment that she has finally taken to jumping up on my lap for treats. She is the first to approach me now; albeit she is still proned to flee like a rabbit caught in a cabbage patch at the slightest provocation. Billy is less intimidated, but equally less trusting. He is a beautiful beast.

When I went to buy Nanny from the owner, she was the only female Pygmy left on the lot. Females sell for a higher price than males, because you can generally have as many females as you wish. The males are territorial and therefore inclined to fighting. Not only that, but they have a fierce odor when in heat. Unless you are building a herd or planning on making sacrifices on the back 40, it's best not to have too many bucks. So, when I went to select a goat, seeing that there was only one female left, I took her first.

I was loading her into the truck when I saw Billy, standing atop one of the blue barrels scattered across the old man's lot and the sight of him literally took my breath away. He was short and stout with a full coat of perfectly white hair and he held himself in the most regal manner. I was tempted to put the doe back and take him instead. The old man heard me gasp, saw me and the young buck staring at one another and assured me that he would save him for one week.

When I returned, the old man tried to pass off another goat as the one he promised me, but the fire in my eyes quickly told him I wasn't buying. So, he went and fetched my goat, as promised. Billy bucked, kicked, locked his legs, flung his head, tried to flip himself onto his back. He was so intimidating that Einstein, who had come to help me transport him back to the wannabe farm, felt a little apprehensive about getting too close to the beast. In the end, it was I who had to grab him by the horns, wrap my arms securely around his midsection and put him in the crate. When Einstein saw the ease with which I did this, he realized that the animal wasn't nearly as ferocious as he wanted us to believe.

Einstein had never even grown a garden; let alone raised a goat. So, for him, it was a complete learning experience. For days after we brought Billy home, he would sit outside with the goats watching as if he had discovered new friends.

There are many funny stories about Einstein and the goats; one of which includes a belly flop onto the grass during an attempt to catch Billy after he let the animal off its retraints (when he was forewarned NOT to do it). But, he learned quickly and like all of us, is now very fond of our barnyard companions.

From time to time, I go out and sit with them and sometimes I bring them pasta from the cabinet which, gaging from their reaction, is the equivalent of goat candy. When I return to the house, I take with me tall tales about the conversations we had (myself and the goats); expounding on what Billy said and what Nanny said and sometimes what the fairies did or said.

Einstein says I'm crazy, because there is no such thing as fairies. (He never says I'm crazy when I tell him what Billy had to say). So, I took this picture of the toadstool in my front yard to prove to him that there are, indeed, fairies among us. He says that proves nothing, so I pointed out to him that there is fairy dust on the mushroom. (Uh - DUH!)

I have a lot of fun taking pictures of the dragonflies, butterflies, goats, tree frogs, and other creatures that I find around and about the place. Sometimes I manipulate the photos in PSP ... Other times I leave them as they are. Mostly, I just enjoy being here ... where I am ... among the elements that thrive in this place I presently call home. They are a great catalyst for my imagination.

As for the writing ... the serious stuff doesn't make it to the public forum, for obvious reasons. But, the silly stuff does, because it gives me an opportunity to play with ideas - to engage in a creative exercise that involves weaving those tall tales with an element of truth. Although the truth may be disguised by a talking goat and a fairy king ... it is there. You just have to look closely. ;)

6 comments:

LG said...

Two things I love about you already: fairies and goats. Need I say more?

2complx said...

I have actually thought about raising goats on my property. I have to rebuild my fence better or they would just be coyote food.

One Wink at a Time said...

Kat, your writing is delightful. And being that "the serious stuff" doesn't find it's way here... speaking just for myself, mind you, makes me all the more curious about the real you. Please share sometime.
Your pictures (and the toadstool) are lovely. Einstein, who might that be? Albert holds a special place in my heart, as we share a birthday.
I see you're having fun playing around with your blog template ;-)

Kat said...

Thank you WINK :) And, yes ... It may take me a bit to find a color palette I'm really pleased with, but you are right: 'tis fun to play. :)

2complx said...

oh btw are your sure it is fairy dust? it could be fairy poop.

Kat said...

Yes, TC, Einstein also believed it was the excrement of a winged creature ... but not fairies. LOL ...