Friday, September 14, 2007

FUN AND FOOTBALL


I'm a Jinx.The Liberty Tigers have won every game of the season so far. Not that they've played that many games, but all the same ... until tonight, they were victorious. Tonight, I went to watch them play and they not only lost - they were mutilated.

I haven't been to a football game in many moons. But, the kids are very happy in their new school and the people I've encountered so far, though few, have been down-to-earth and friendly. I grew up in small Oklahoma communities; the kind where pavement quickly turns to gravel and everybody knows your name and what color underpants you're wearing; not because you exposed them, (or maybe because you exposed them), but because somebody knows somebody who knows somebody who just happened to be in the mall (or Walmart) when you picked them out. This is my element - like finally coming home. So, I decided it was high time I merge with the community around me.

Einstein wasn't happy about the development, and after a bitter conversation in which he suggested he might wander downtown for a few rounds of pool - and in which I asked him if he didn't have the scruples to know the difference between a high school football game and a bar - we finally managed to agree that my going to a football game was not a threat.

Paige arranged for me to sit with one of her friend's mom and aunt. And, another mom whom I have previously met was also there and seemed equally relieved to find a familiar face in the crowd. Myself and the second mom were assigned a consult in case we became confused during the game. Apparently Paige forewarned them that I was not a football freak. I am proud to announce that I had no trouble understanding what happened tonight. We lost. Plain and simple. Not a single touchdown ... The poor chap behind me nearly suffered a head injury at one point when my arms flew up and I was screaming for the defense to, "STOP HIM!"

When we got home, Paige informed me that she didn't appreciate her male peers saying that her mom is hot. The things they allegedly said felt very disrespectful to me and it really hurt my feelings. Then, I had to sit through a long explanation from her and her new best friend about how all teenage boys act that way and it wasn't really an insult at all. Einstein then announced that from now on I will attend football games with him. Okay ... but ... but ... I just made new female friends ... They were NICE to me. I had fun.

3 comments:

One Wink at a Time said...

I was afraid I was going to have to pass on this post, me not being what you would call a football fan. (not even a teeny bit of one) but I'm glad I kept reading. Thanks for not giving a play by play ;-)

Aw geez, it's the perm. I told you you looked younger! But on a more serious note, I'm sorry you had your feelings hurt.

And just so you don't "jinx" the team, maybe you and Einstein could shoot pool next time?

Sam said...

I don't do football, either and haven't been to a high school game in ages, lol. It's good that you're getting out and meeting people in your new community. :)

2complx said...

football in the mid-west- it is difficult to explain how important it is to the rural community.